Woman ‘in panic’ as her Primark bag catches fire after sitting in the sun

News

There’s nothing better than lounging around in the sunshine on holiday, but one woman claims her peaceful sunbathing in Malia, Crete, was interrupted by her bag catching fire – while her AirPods were still inside.

Eva Bacchoo was enjoying some time by the pool when she turned around to see her Primark bag was smouldering and there were little flames.

The 21-year-old from Sussex shared a clip of her beach bag after she’d put the fire out, with singed edges.

She claims in a viral video posted to her TikTok that the incident might have started as a result of the metal button on the bag getting too hot – though her followers think it might have been the bottle of water in the bag that caused issues.

She said: “We’re in Malia in Crete for a week-long festival thing and on Friday we were sunbathing by the pool.

“I got the bag in Primark in April – I can’t remember exactly how much it cost, somewhere between £12 and £14.

“I’d not long put a bottle of water in the bag and then didn’t put the bag in the shade – I turned around as I was thirsty and saw the bag was on fire.

“It was smouldering with a few little flames – I thought it was the metal initially but a lot of comments on the video say water bottles in the sun can reflect like a magnifying glass and cause a fire.

“It was obviously something to do with the sunlight on the metal button or the bottle – I don’t actually think it was because the button got too hot in the sun.”

She continued: “I felt shocked at first but, ultimately, I found it funny how it had set itself on fire.

“I panicked at first with the AirPods but they were safe.”

A spokesperson for Primark said: “Every Primark product range is tested independently to ensure the relevant safety and quality standards are met.

“We were surprised to hear of this complaint and we’ve had no other reported issues, but if the customer returns the bag to us then we will be happy to investigate this further to understand what might have happened.”